Join us for our 2017 Y-WE SPEAK summer camp!
Dates: July 17-23
Where: Carnation Farms
Time: 11am- 5pm each day
Registration Coming Soon!
Y-WE Speak exists because we believe that Every girl’s story matters…Every girl’s voice is important…We want to to offer you the chance to SPEAK and be HEARD!
Is Y-WE Speak the right program for you? No performance experience is required!
Do you have a passion for art and creativity? Do you want to learn life skills through theater and writing? Do you want to see professional theater shows, meet awesome peers & mentors, and take theater workshops? Then this is an amazing opportunity for you! Experienced teaching artists and facilitators Devon Little & Arlene Martinez will be leading this camp.
Arlene Martínez-Vázquez is a Teaching Artist, Theatre Director and Arts Administrator with over ten years of experience who has worked and trained in England, Russia, Indonesia, Thailand, Puerto Rico and the USA. She holds a BA in Theatre from the University of Puerto Rico and an MFA in Theatre Directing from Middlesex University, London. Recent professional credits include: Passport by Gustavo Ott (presented at ACT Seattle) and The Passion as Told by Antígona Pérez by Luis Rafael Sánchez (presented at 12 Ave Arts). Specialties include physical theater, adaptations, mask making and performance, puppetry, Commedia dell’Arte, and Latin American theater. Arlene is Seattle Repertory Theatre’s Education Director.
Devon Little is a Facilitator, Trainer, Advocate, and Social Artist. For over ten years, Devon has designed, facilitated, and/or managed experiential-learning programs for numerous organizations, including Partners for Youth Empowerment, Young Women Empowered, Camp Korey, Community Schools Collaboration, Blue Compass, City of Seattle, the University of Washington, Waaponi, and AmeriCorps. Devon’s long-time studies in theater and dance have given her the privilege of weaving together arts-based programs that cultivate personal awareness, effective communication, and leadership skills.
At Y-WE Speak, girls 13-18 will have access to:
- Public speaking & performance skills–looks great on a resume and college application! (no experience necessary)
- Mentorship with amazing adult role models who will help you set and meet goals for your future
- Collaborative teamwork experience that will be relevant to any group project in your future
- Creative Writing, Narrative and literacy skills that will improve your written and verbal communication
This Camp Includes:
- Healthy lunch and snacks provided each day.
- Transportation to and from the Seattle Rep each day if needed.
- Access to professional plays and field trips.
- Daily theater & writing workshops; focused mentorship with diverse and inspiring adults; & supportive peers
Cost: $75-$800 Sliding Fee scale. Pay what you can – no one is turned away. Price includes meals and snacks for all program days.
Questions? Contact Y-WE Program Coordinator Anna McCracken at firstname.lastname@example.org.