Every Saturday from 9AM-12PM, September 18-October 30
In Y-WE Grow at Marra Farm, we connect with the Earth in reciprocal relationship, gain practical gardening skills, and grow fresh, culturally-relevant produce. We also learn how to disrupt the racist and unjust food system dominant in the U.S. through investing in food sovereignty and access locally.
- Connect with, care for, and learn from the environment and each other in reciprocal relationship
- Develop skills for interdependence, such as gardening, woodworking, plant medicine, food preservation, chicken-care, creek restoration, and facilitation
- Learn about and disrupt environmental racism and injustice in our dominant food systems
- Engage in mutual aid by growing fresh, culturally-relevant food for and sharing gardening resources with community
We are grateful to meet in person at Marra Farm on Duwamish and Coast Salish land, in South Park, Seattle. COVID-19 safety precautions are taken.
Everything was perfect! I especially loved how we learned so many technical skills this time around. It felt really intentional and useful to learn about herbs and tools and preparations. Loved the woodworking workshops especially! I learned the most in that one!-Spring 2021 Y-WE Grow participant
Programs throughout the year:
- Fall Y-WE Grow: September 18-October 30
- Spring Y-WE Grow
- June Container Garden Giveaway Celebration
- Summer Y-WE Grow Internship
- Summer Urban Innovators (South Park and Duwamish Valley youth) – in collaboration with Urban Fresh Food Collective, Resistencia Coffee, and Cultivate South Park
- South Asian Youth Leadership in Food Justice
I loved getting to plant and harvest vegetables learning about plants, and getting to take home food from the garden and starts!-Spring 2021 Y-WE Grow participant
Want to learn more about food sovereignty?
Check out this zine by a Y-WE Grow alum, Lucia!
Food Sovereignty partners in King County:
Black Farmers Collective
Black Star Farmers
Cultivate South Park
Marra Farm Coalition
Na’ah Illahee Fund
Resistencia Coffee Shop
Salsa de la Vida / Villa Communitaria
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods
Urban Fresh Food Collective
Wa Na Wari