Dear Y-WE Community,
This is a heartbreaking time. We face a pandemic and widespread violence in the context of hundreds of years of structural racism and institutionalized oppression.
George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and so many others. We say their names with respect and honor. We hold their families in our hearts. We hold the grief, shame, and unspeakable rage in our hearts too for these systems that brutalize us and criminalize our very existence. Their stories are indelibly imprinted on our collective consciousness as we do what we must to prevent others from dying. We are at a crossroads, a moment in time where what we do next will shape not only how history remembers us, but what America will be in the future.
Here are just a few ways you can get involved in this movement:
- Join the Movement for Black Lives
- Donate to Community Bail Funds
- Anti-racism resources for white folx
- Take action for Breonna Taylor
- Sign up to make a public comment at a City Council meeting
- Support the efforts of BLM Seattle-King County
- Contact Seattle City Council Members (contacts below)
We know that this is a time of immense grief, rage, and hurt in our communities. We invite you to find moments of self-care and peace when you can. We are honored to be in community with you.
Featured art by @emmylupinstudio on Instagram